Chiseled By The Elements

One of my favorite things about shooting long exposure images at the sea is while the shutter is open I just sit/stand and take in my surroundings. This image was almost 6 six minutes of bliss.

Sony a7Riii, Tamron 28-75 at 28mm, f/13, ISO 100, 341 sec.

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

8 Likes

Nice capture Andrew. This feels a bit abstract, with lots of movement to it but at the same time some what lonely. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

1 Like

Very nice shot Andrew, I like the tones and movement. Not to mention the sea is my happy place too.

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor! I appreciate the comments.

Thanks @AndySimpson, I appreciate the comment. Glad we are able to get back to our happy place!

1 Like

LOVE the flow of this image. The subtle shapes in the sea flow into the sky very nicely.

1 Like

Outstanding image! I continue to be impressed by the quality of work displayed here at NPN. The mood and quality of light in this image is fantastic. I know what you mean by taking in your surroundings while waiting for that long exposure click. It is indeed a pleasurable experience. This shot also speaks highly of your technical skills- 6 minute exposure and no tripod movement on the beach? Nice.

1 Like

Andrew, this is a most convincing b&w presentation of this stunning scene to me. There is a certain touch of infinity that just makes the difference for me. The abstract character fits in well with the overall atmosphere in my opinion.

Peter

1 Like

Thanks so much @jonfischer, I appreciate the comment!

Thanks so much for the kind words @Marc_McCann, I appreciate it! This image was taken at a local reef break, my tripod was setup on very sturdy rocks just above the water line.

Thanks @Peter_Richter, I appreciate that you picked up on the “infinity” of the horizon. I worked hard on making the horizon distinct but have the clouds and water blend away into nothing. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it!

Ah! That would explain it. I am not always that lucky along the Atlantic Coast. My photographic peers call that movement in wet sand “tripod sink.”

1 Like

Amazing Image! I absolutely love it in b&w.

Thanks so much Nick!

Superb use of the rock as anchors in this long-exposure Andrew - B&W makes it all the more ethereal.

1 Like

Quite like the mysterious side of this image. Keeps making me think. Nice work

1 Like

Thanks so much @Eugene_Theron, I appreciate the feedback!!!

1 Like

Thanks @Dan_DellaChiesa, I appreciate it!

Really like the composition in this one and the way the viewer’s eye is led in.