Clapper Rail In Marsh

I took this a couple of years ago at Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet, SC. I liked the fact that I was able to capture his head clear of the reeds, but he is pretty much hidden otherwise. I think it gives a sort of mystery to him. Not a bird that I had even seen before. I think I have ID’d him correctly.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t get the full bird in the frame since most of that part of the bird is hidden anyway?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm (I should have pulled back a little maybe to have included the back of the bird, but that is hind sight). Settings f6.7, 1/350, ISO 500, handheld.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Probably the perfect pose for a rail given their propensity to hide among the reeds. What we see of the rail shows excellent detail. Nice capture.

1 Like

Excellent job nailing the focus so well through all those reeds, Shirley. I happen to be fond of this kind of image for skulking birds, so it definitely works for me.

1 Like

Congrats on capturing this elusive rail especially getting the head head and eye unobstructed, Shirley. I really like seeing it in its habitat and colors look very good.

Thank you all for your kind words. My computer died last month, so now I am going back through my images, uploading to the catalog in Lightroom, and it is giving me a chance to look again at some of my images from the past, which is a bonus to the crash and new computer. I haven’t been able to get out and shoot much in a few months, (other than around the yard), so looking back has been keeping me into photography in a sense, and trying to learn from my mistakes, so if I do get up to Maryland next month, and go out to shoot with another photographer friend that I get together with, hopefully I won’t be repeating some of the same mistakes. I really liked this shot, and I’m glad to hear that you do as well.