80-400mm @ 92mm
1/640 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Spot
ISO: 320
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off

1 Like

Nice shot, Sandy ! What I take to be a satellite dish strangely reminds me of traditional African sculptures, which tended often to be very abstract, and the small tree standing where the washing is hung out to dry makes you wonder if it was planted or has just grown up there. Interesting details in the huts too.

That’s priceless Sandy. In a larger context, I’d document this one well and preserve it for historians.

Had a similar experience in Alaska back in the 1970’s when I worked out in the bush. No hotels, so as a matter of course you were a guest in homes. My favorites were the elders. It was a treat each night, with generations gathering for meals and socializing. The elders were often engaged in teaching traditional songs and dance to the youngest.

Returned to one village in particular a year later and stayed with the same elders. And no one came in the evening! The silence was deafening, and a good thing I’m comfortable with long quiet periods in conversation because there were lots of those.

I finally asked Annie about it, pointing out the change. She looked up from her basket weaving and said “Blue windows” with a nod toward her front window. I got up and looked, and sure enough every home in the village had blue windows. Between my visits the state of Alaska had piped TV into most rural communities. Everyone stayed home and watched the latest from the Kardasians or some such rather than growing their culture in the next generation. Almost 50 years later, the villages are most certainly reaping what the TV has sown…