Cliff Glaze

Cliff Glaze

Nothing like some serious erosional forces to create such an interesting scene. Sometimes the birds’ eye view provides a perspective that is other worldly. This lighter color clay soils at the top of the cliff adds special interest to this scene as it looks like donut frosting to me!
Cheers

2 Likes

Ken: I don’t know if the lighter clay at the top looks like donut frosting, but its appearance of translucency, revealing erosion below it, coupled with the abrupt edges, often appearing undercut, do challenge my mind to interpret the resultant patterns of erosion.

1 Like

Yea, Bob, every time I view this image I see another take on it. Frankly, I relish that the fact this image presents itself differently to everyone.

Ken,

Oh my - this is a mind bender! And most definitely yes, there can be many different takes here. My first impression was that the “frosting” was the left over frozen edges at the rivers edge when the water recedes over night. Do you see that? Then I thought, what an incredible macro image… but huh? no, this isn’t macro… what is that frosting? It looks like it shelves out over the space below - how can that be in a large landscape? Then, finally, looking at this long enough I see the frosting is simply covering whatever eroded formations that are beneath… I think?

Long way of saying this is way cool.

Lon

1 Like

I appreciate your “takes” on this image, Lon! For some images, I want the viewer to engage using their imagination. Apparently, it worked for this aerial image.
The light bentonite on the cliff edges is just what is showing after erosion. Overall, just another example of badlands country at its best. Ugly to some, interesting to others.
Cheers!

Back
Forward