Climb Every Mountain

The temperature had warmed to zero and the wind had given us a break for a moment. There was a small herd of Bison that were swinging their heads and making attempt at grazing. There were three hanging at the bottom of this rise, just hanging out. Then as I was thinking how cool it would be if at least one would walk up the rise and let me get the shot…that is exactly what happened. One turned and began to slowly walk up the ridge. Breath puffing with each step…I love it when they listen…LOL.

Specific Feedback Requested

Would appreciate any feedback. This is one of my favorites from that morning shoot and would like others’ insights.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS 1D X Mark II
Sigma 150-600mm (150mm)
1/2500
f16
ISO 2500

@dynamic_earth_photos

I like it for its grandeur, but it looks a little crispy and oversaturated to me. The bison seems to not be part of the scene, as if you dropped it in. I think a lighter touch on the clarity sliders would be a way to start. The snow in the fg seems a bit too dark as well. It just looks off, but you can probably adjust no problem and as usual YMMV.

You had some wonderful elements in this scene … bison, mountains, clouds, converging lines. To me, if the image is about the bison, then a bunch of that other good stuff needs to be cropped out. I would favor dodging some of the bison and its breath. Maybe you can highlight the eye a bit. For me, burning mountains, clouds, and some foreground also emphasizes this grand critter. Probably less burned than in this attachment.
Thanks for taking us to this adventure while we are warm in our houses.

I like Dick’s adjustments to what is a very exciting image. The clearer eye and breath really add life to our bison. The clouds also look better. Maybe include the rest of the highest peak in the bg when cropping? A lovely scene and creature - well caught.

Great capture with so many wonderful elements here.
The composition you presented looks good, but it calls for some strong foreground element.
That way composition of @Dick_Knudson looks better.

TFS!

I’m going to offer a different take on the composition. While I agree that the foreground is a bit “bare” compared to the top half of the image, I do like what you’ve chosen to include horizontally.

I’d keep the horizontal dimensions, as I think all three (but especially the top two) snow-covered boulders work well to offer balance countering the bison, and there’s no need to cut them off. I think Dick’s vertical crop is about right to lose some of the emptyish foreground. The top half of this is so strong with wonderful textures—bison fur, mountains, boulders—that it really should be emphasized, and I think the pano crop would be a great way to present this as a result.