Clivia #1 and #2

A few weeks ago, I thought I’d take advantage of the covid quarantine and take several images over the course of a couple weeks as this Clivia emerged out our back porch. These two shots made the final cut and I’m interested in your thoughts on presentation, “story”, and anything technical/aesthetic that may come to your mind. I’m enjoying macro exploration, and believe I will be doing more and more in the coming years. Thanks for your time!

#1 is a composite of 2 images that had different focal points on the stamens . D850, Nikon 105Macro 0.4sec at f/11, ISO50.

#2 is a single shot: D850, 105Macro @ 4sec, f/16, ISO50

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

Jim: These are both excellent. In the first I like your DOF/POF choice and your plane of focus. The anther ends are all sharp and for me these small features have to be sharp to anchor the image. On the second I like that you filled the frame with the color of the flowers and how the bud is nestled in to the surrounding blooms. Really good vision and superb captures and presentations. >=))>

1 Like

These are both lovely images Jim. I like the softness of the orange and greens melding together. I particularly like the second image for it’s abstract, impressionistic feel. Very nicely done.

1 Like

I like both, but the second image is my favorite. Love the way the bud in surrounded by other flowers that are soft. The frame is also filled with orange, which brings softness to the image. I felt there was something missing in the first image, probably the top of the flower. I love the way the focus is on delicate stamen.

In comparing the two images the second closer composition wins easily. It shows the lovely transition of colors and shapes of the inner flower as well as the closed bud. Enjoying the inner view.

Thanks everyone for your comments. @linda_mellor, @ravi, and @Patricia_Brundage…thank you all for your perspective on comparing the two. As I reflect on my processing experience, I definitely felt more of a connection with the 2nd image as the first felt more mechanical with trying to strike balance and it never felt completely successful. Thanks again for your time reviewing!