Cloud Pyre + Repost + V III

This is the same night but a bit later than my previous post. I am not entirely happy with the white sky. It was a single image and I have tried every trick I know to darken, etc the sky. I tried a double process (one warm, one cool), but with the wispy clouds, I could not manage a decent blend. A TK lights mask ended up looking worse, kind of getting greyish and fake looking.

I am not finding it an image killer, but a change would improve it. It is beyond my Photoshop skills. Any ideas or techniques you can think of?

Beautiful cloud image! Here is my go at the fix. I used TK7 Rapid Mask and chose the white sky, then used that mask to add a solid color (dark pink, chosen from the photo) in
“Normal” blending mode and decreased the opacity to 22%. If you think it is going in the right direction you could experiment with the opacity. I do prefer your first photo, it seems complete and is fabulous.

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 9.42.04 AM

1 Like

Very impressive cloud cover here, Harley. Kinda gave me that “Hindenburg” landing in Manchester Township, N.J. huge impact look. Interesting to see that little tiny white spot in the lower center of the cloud. I actually like the look of your post but I’m sure there can be variations similar to Tony’s idea as viable options for review and final thoughts… :thinking:
Regardless, the main image is there to work on as you see fit…a very fine photo !.. :sunglasses:

Thanks, @Tony_Siciliano. I used your technique to add just a hint of blue to the sky, which removed the white, white look. Curious if anyone finds it an improvement over the original. I posted the redo in the original to allow toggling back and forth.

Thanks for the comments, @Paul_Breitkreuz.

Harley,

What an evening that was! Another awesome cloud scene. You can actually see the remnants of your previous image on the right. This one, “out-gassing” comes to mind. That cloud is releasing something… :roll_eyes: :innocent:

I did something similar to Tony. Basically I used a Lights 4-6 TK mask to select that lower bright sky. Masked out any other bright areas up top. Then with that selection opened an empty bg layer, added a selection feather of like 100px and then painted in the colors at a low opacity. Pink, and then blue just to see what might work. The blue/cyan color/hue is NOT working with what I selected, but the exercise was to see IF it could be done and how.

With the same selection I also had used a basic Levels layer to drop the brightness a little, but as you found out, it goes wonky quickly. For grins I did some slight burning, but again you can’t go crazy with those adjustments. In the end, it’s find the right color you want to use. Since the clouds are soft-edged by nature, the transition between the selections is pretty well blended.

Again, not sold on my color selection, but thought I would give it a shot.

BTW, your second version is an improvement over the more washed white.

I prefer the lower sky pink versions to the blue.

Since I rarely use photoshop I won’t comment on how to make changes but I will say that is one impressive cloud formation Harley. Looks like a Sierra monster to me??? I love the colors in cloud and I do find that white strip of sky on the bottom in the original is a bit jarring but the repost is definitely better. However, I like Tony’s post with the pink along the bottom as well as Lons pink version over the blue. Just my 2 cents worth. Wish I was adept in photoshop!

Added a third version. Having worked it up in the red-ish tone, I think that might look best.

Probably even more visual confusion, but here it is. Basically selected the blue area and expanded and feathered with a 25% Magenta filter.

I also prefer the repost with the pinkish sky Harley. Fantastic shy regardless.

Incredible sky, Harley. Something out of dream! I think your third version is your best effort, Harley. I also like Lon’s pinkish version.

Your processing on the cloud itself is excellent; it appears very luminous.