Clouds Over Hat Creek

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

None of us can resist dramatic clouds, eh? These were above us on a hike along Hat Creek in northern California a couple of years ago. Hat Creek is a lovely spring-fed creek that is renowned for fly fishing.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome - do you like the toning?

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 9.09.03 AM
Processed in ACR & PS, b&w conversion, basic dodging & burning.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I think for clouds, nothing expresses their mood better than B&W. I can’t speak to the toning as I don’t get a feel for it, but the push and pull of the foreground clouds with the rain against the background clouds and rain is just right. Nice capture.

1 Like

This is a great cloud scene, Bonnie. That bottom layer is very dramatic, but I especially like the top part of the image where the light is catching the wispier clouds. I tend to like lighter tones, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wonder if some of the shadows and darker tones could be lightened up a bit. Just a thought. As I was looking at this image, I was also wondering if you might actually have two images here: one as presented, and another one including only the bottom half of this image cropped as more of a pano. I didn’t try it, so I’m not sure if it would work or not, but it might look cool as well.

1 Like

Bonnie like your image the only suggestion I have would be for some burning to the hazy part towards the top left as my eye keeps getting drawn to this area