Cold Meets Warm

There comes a moment sometime between Mid November Mid December when the Polar Express makes it way down to the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and when the two meet, this is what you get.

Specific Feedback Requested

This was a bugger of an edit with lots of masks, dodging and burning, so I’ll take whatever suggestions you wish to impart.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 200-500 @ 300, f/8, 1/800, ISO 320

In New England, we call this phenomena “Sea Smoke”, although we don’t usually see it until the air temperature drops below zero degrees. While I assume that it doesn’t get that cold in Florida, maybe the higher temperature of the water allows it to form at warmer air temps.

I like how you used the rock jetty to make this about more than just a shot of Sea Smoke. It adds some structure to the image. I also like the texture in the foreground water.

Color is subjective, but to my eye the blue in the sky looks a bit too green or cyan, it’s almost a teal color. The water has a bit of this too, but its more believable in the water. It’s the sky that looks slightly off to me. Try reducing green and or cyan in the blue sky.

1 Like

This is amazing! At first I thought you’d found a really big geyser pool in Yellowstone.

Good call by @Ed_McGuirk on the color.

1 Like

I really like the fantasy factor in this image. To me this image is more than a scene of rocks and water. I guess that’s fog but it sort of looks supernatural. Even the rocks are suggestive. It’s an image that makes you stop and think.

1 Like