Collard Aracari

My personal work is mostly landscapes but I was happy to take a trip with my father to Costa Rica and experience the fantastic birds and animals of the rain forest. My father is a very dedicated birder.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I was using an old DSLR lens mounted on a mirrorless camera. The focus is a bit soft on the aracari’s eye with the image of the bird upside down. I like the upside down image but the second image is a bit sharper although more static. Any suggestions?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
70-400 DSLR lens mounted on mirroless at 400 mm. F6.3, 1/800, iso5000. It was very overcast and dark in the rain forest in Selva Verda biological station Costa Rica.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

IG bryannelsonca

An amazing looking bird. And an amazing position for the bird in the first image. There is some detail in both images and focus seems all right. The lack of sharpness maybe due to the camera/lens combo.
Both photos are very busy with the various vines and the berries and as well as bg branches drawing attention away from the bird. This is especially true in the first image although that is the more interesting of the two. Something that may help accentuate the birds would be some separation from the bg. If it was darker and if the diagonal bright green branch was cloned out more attention would be on the bird.
Sounds like it would have been an interesting trip.