Collinsia verna Nutt. (spring blue-eyed-Mary)

Here in western Pennsylvania, we are at the edge of the range of this species. It’s found only in the southwestern counties. An annual, prolific bloom in locations where it is found is stunning. The whole of the woodland understory is a blanket of plants. One of those locations has a trail through the center of the population, and in situ photos are easy by laying on the trail, so none of the rest of the population is disturbed.

Technical Details

Composite: No
The background is an Impact Hexi 24, portable, light-weight, fabric light-box housing a Nikon SB-500 Speedlight. Two small Nikon Wireless Remote SB-R200 Speedlights with diffusers provide frontal lighting. All the flash units are in manual mode; they are triggered, and output intensity is adjusted, with a Vello FreeWave IR Commander on the camera hot shoe. (Older Nikon models had a built-in Commander Mode, so the Vello may not be necessary.) The background is pure white (255 for each RGB Channel). Photographs are processed in Adobe LRC, Bridge, and PS.

Nikon D-850, Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZE, f22

These are truly beautiful. I love your technique. I’ve seen others in this style but you have taken advantage of the benefits.

Thank you Anita, I very much appreciate the kind words and taking the time to say them.