Come Hither + 2 Reworks

REWORK 2:

REWORK 1:

ORIGINAL:

While hiking in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest earlier this month, I was struck by the patterns of the limber pines against the wispy clouds. This particular one seemed to be gesturing to its neighbors.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique welcome. I made a few different frames, and the combination of the cloud patterns and tree proportions in this one felt right. The sky was an incredible blue, but I toned it down, and brightened the yellows/greens of the trees to make them stand out more.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 35mm, f/16, 1/80s, ISO 400.

bonnie_lampley
3 Likes

I like the symmetry of the opposing corners Bonnie. It does seem a if the upper pine is calling to the lower.

1 Like

I really like your concept here, Bonnie, but I don’t understand why you toned the sky down. It looks like a glorious sky! I think a bright, incredibly blue sky would make it even better. I also like the way the trees are counter balanced.

I like the symmetry here. I definitely feel that the image is well balanced.

Bonnie, what a beautiful composition with the clouds spinning as the tree leaves. All for me in a good color-balance .

Thanks, @Eva_McDermott, @Bill_Chambers, @Nathan_Klein, and @Ben_van_der_Sande for your thoughts.

Eva, it’s interesting that you see the upper pine calling to the lower. I was thinking that the lower pine looked like a bending finger, saying come here. I can see, though, that it could be interpreted the other way.

Bill, I’ll think about that sky some more. :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree the there is wonderful balance and that the pines appear to be calling each other, but I like the clouds as much since they appear to be seeking each other. Have you tried this in B/W?

I also see the LRC cloud bending its finger and calling to the the ULC cloud. I see both the lower tree and cloud calling to their counterparts. Symmetry squared in this image, I love it. Here’s a real nitpick, I would suggest burning the LLC tree to make its luminosity the same as the URC tree, as presented the LLC corner tree is slightly brighter and grabs slightly more attention.

Thanks, @Jim_Gavin and @Ed_McGuirk for your thoughts. Jim, I did render this in b&w to start with, but went back to color so this would fit in with my series from this trip. It does work in b&w, just differently.

Dang, @Ed_McGuirk, you have a very perceptive eye (both literally and figuratively). Your comments on the composition reflect my idea (“symmetry squared”), and the LLC tree is brighter. I was thinking that it should be a bit brighter, to make the point that it was the one doing the calling. It does look a bit too bright, though - easy enough to dial it back.

The photo is expertly composed. The trees balance the photo well. I think the sky would be better if it was a little brighgter though.

1 Like

I like the idea. How could I not? If it’s good enough for Michaelangelo’s Sistine Chapel it’s good enough for me. That’s my way of comparing this to the ‘Creation of Man’. The fortuitous position of the clouds makes this for me. The brightness of the evergreens looks a bit unnatural but works well in the composition.

1 Like

Thanks, @tray and @Igor_Doncov.

Taking all the comments into account, I started over (see rework). I still couldn’t go for the bright blue sky, because it felt like it was competing with the trees, although in v2 it isn’t quite as subdued. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

1 Like

I think I was partly wrong about the trees. Only the left one needed adjustment. Somehow in the rework the relationship between the two trees seems weaker. Does it look that way to you? I don’t have a laptop to download and experiment with your image.

@Igor_Doncov, yes, to a degree the relationship now isn’t as strong. I think it’s a combination of keeping the sky a bright blue and not increasing the luminosity of the trees. There’s a happy medium in there somewhere. Maybe this:

Bonnie,
I did not chime in earlier, but having the benefit of seeing all versions I prefer revision #2. I think it strikes the best balance and still keeps the “Come Hither” feeling in place.
This is a clever and creative image!

1 Like

I really like version two. I think the sky and the trees make a really nice opposing dynamic. However you are right the sky does draw attention away from the trees a little bit.