Common Merganser behavior

This is strictly a series of behavioral images. They were all taken at iso-1000 and are all about 10% of full frame or under three megapixels each. The birds were quite far away but their behavior is fascinating to me.
Common Merganser’s fish in packs of multiple birds both male and female together with a predominance of females. They follow schools of fish and create distraction by splashing vigorously and sliding on their bellies over the water. They will all go under the surface of the water together and return together to the surface. This particular group of Merganser’s numbered about 25 but I have seen well over 50 fishing together. They all live in a very small inlet, about an acre in size, part of Puget Sound. I have been following them for over 20 years. I need to take a video and posted on YouTube at some point in time.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All shots at about iso-1000, 500 PF +1.4 X, F8, shutter speeds varying between 30 and 4000, all images in the neighborhood of 10% of full frame. So yes there are some image quality issues and noise. D 500

This is about half of the group.

Here is the splashing behavior. Yes they are facing the wrong direction but you get what you get.

A male and female together

I find the female a lot more attractive than the male but that is a personal taste.

Great series, David. I’ve not seen these Merganser around here. Thanks for sharing their story and images.

An interesting description of the behavior, David. I’ve never seen it, but then I’ve never seen a large group of Mergansers. A good series of images as well. And yes, you should do a video-I hate to admit it but some things require a video to convey well.

Interesting behavior. And good for you to follow them for that long. It is a really nice series and well executed. I know you said these are behavioral but I do like the second one. I like the pano composition and the crumbly water.