Common Merganser

Description:

Another from the archives, from 2015. I was duck hunting one day when this girl glided into some nice water in some nice light.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II at 400, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, ISO 800. Only a little tonal work in LR and into PS for a little cloning/smoothing in a few areas of the water. A very small crop from the top and left.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

1 Like

Beautiful bird and beautiful water, Diane. The detail in the Merganser is outstanding and I love the head turn.

Simply gorgeous. The duck has given you a lovely angle and the ripples are distinct but not distracting.

Hi Diane,

I like this one as presented. Pose and lighting are awesome…Jim

Superb detail, color, light, and water. Well done!

Super smooth and I love the little bit of the feet you can see. Duck feet are funny. Ducks are funny. A beauty. None of my merganser shots are even close to this.

Beautiful, Diane. The detail in the Merganser is lovely, but the softness and patter of the ripples is what caught my attention. Nice capture.

Hi Diane
I bow to you.
Peter

I agree with @linda_mellor. The duck is beautiful but the water caught most of my eye.

1 Like

Awesome, @Diane_Miller. The lovely water makes for a wonderful backdrop to the bird. Love it.

Thanks everyone! I was delighted with the brief chance with good light here during an otherwise frustrating shoot. And I’ve corrected the OP – this is, of course, a GIRL. The guys are quite a different coloring.