Common Sheep Sorrel

Common Sheep Sorrel is a tiny flower in the 1-2mm range growing on straight stems of about 6" height. Today they were found in a small cluster along a trail in southern Oregon, sunny, dry, 3,000’ elevation. Had not expected flowers there this late in season.

To create the image I had to bring home a sample; too windy to work in the field. this was made using a Voigtlander 65mm Apo Lanthar Macro @ f/8 w/ a Marumi +3 Achromat filter, Bolt Dual Macro Flash. It’s a 5 frame stack merged in Helicon Focus and sharpened in Topaz A.I. DeNoise. Rest of processing was in LrC.

(@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Richard: A very nice portrait of a difficult subject to capture. Good control of the lighting as the flash is perhaps a tiny bit harsh but not too much. Nicely done. >=))>

Richard, this is very nice. Wonderful details, and it really shows up nice against the black background. Well done.

Hi Richard, the focus stack worked well. I like seeing the fine filaments in the flower. Nice contrast versus the black background. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback. I, too, like seeing fine detail in macros. Guess it satisfies an OCD trait. Of interest is that I first ran several focus stacks made with a 90mm Sony f/2.8 macro and was not satisfied with the details. So then I switched to the 65mm Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar with the Marumi Achromat +3, and the fine detail was better. Apochromatic lenses should, in theory, prevail. This may be an example.