Common Yellowthroat in a cattail tangle

Greetings, please accept my apologies for introducing myself and posting an image for critique at the same time. I only just discovered the introduction area of the forum, but I’d already (finally) determined to post an image for critique. As for the introduction, I’m a nature-obsessed fisheries biologist in northwest Montana. I’m mad about all things natural—small to large. I grew up in small timber, ranching, and tourist town, went to graduate school, and all along thought that a worthy goal was to be a naturalist with credentials. So, I’m as surprised as anyone that I’ve made most of a career of it.

As for photography, I’ve been rather obsessed for a few years, and always enthusiastic, so I suppose that makes me an enthusiast. I’ve finally taken the leap to submit an image because a friend would like a print of the attached photo, so I thought this one was as good as any to start with. I’ve long-contemplated seeking advice on some black and white images, but those will have to wait.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would greatly appreciate any and all input. Feel no need to hold back; I’ve a thick skin, and I’m wide open to learning and have a lot to learn.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I shot the image out the window of my pickup blind with a Nikon D7500 and a NIKKOR 200-500 mm F5.6 lens. Settings were aperture priority: ISO 280; 500 mm; f/6.3; 1/500 sec; EV+0.7. It’s relatively heavily cropped, I did some dodging and burning in Lightroom, and removed a distracting, darkish background cattail (that was in front of the bird) using the spot removal feature. I attempted to tone down some highlights that appeared blown out, but I think that I was rather unsuccessful. I also experimented and put the image through Topaz DeNoise.

1 Like

Welcome, Craig. This is an excellent first post. I really like the bright cattails with just the hint of structure coming through. The detail in the warbler is excellent as well. Ideally, I’d prefer not to have the stem in front of the bird, but since he’s using it as a perch it still works well. You might consider toning it down slightly, but I have always had problems with these as they want to turn gray instead of tan when I burn them. There are techniques for adding a bit of color while retaining texture, but I haven’t gotten familiar with them yet. Similarly, it lookslike there is a very small area of white on the face of the bird that doesn’t have any detail left and there are frequency separation methods that let you clone texture with no color. If you’re using Photoshop for processing, check out Tony Kuyper’s TK8 luminosity panels. They let you do some amazing things like that pretty easily. Sean Bagshaw’s video tutorials are also a big help in learning how to use the panels.

All of the above are very minor nits on a beautiful image. Welcome again and I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work and seeing your comments on other people’s efforts.

@Craig_Barfoot Welcome to NPN. Happy to see an image in the Avian Critique section.

A fine image. I’m particularly fond of images that are not tight in the frame and provide a sense of environment and this one does that nicely. Kind of a high key look without being overly so.

Details on the bird are very nice. I needed to look at the larger view to appreciate it. If there was one thing I’d look at it is the dark area to the right of the twig at the top of the frame. Looks like it might be something like an OOF cattail, but it just pulls me away from the subject a little.

A fine image. Look forward to more, and please look and at provide feedback on the work of others. That is why NPN is such a great resource.

Welcome to NPN, Craig. Excellent detail in the yellowthroat and I like how it is posed on the two stems. The background works well with the yellowtail and gives a nice sense of its environment. Great first post.

Hi Dennis, thank you for the kind welcome and comments. I’m still on a learning curve with Lightroom and haven’t even opened Photoshop, but it’s a goal. I’ll check out the videos and also attempt some adjustments on the head of the bird and the cattail stem.

Hi Keith, thank you for taking a look and for the comments. The dark area you refer to is indeed the seed head of a cattail in the background. I removed a similar one that was out in front of the bird and even more distracting. I’ll see what I can do with the one you mention.

Excellent first post. I also find the exposure/high key effect to be quite pleasing.

Excellent - first or otherwise! Like Keith, I too like giving wildlife space when it warrants it and you have done very well. The high key though, is a personal choice.