Continental Divide

Gore Range Overlook offers views of the Never Summer Mountains, a small portion of the Continental Divide, and the Gore Range. From this western-facing pullout, near the highest point on the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP, the flat top of Long’s Peak is in sight—the highest peak at 14,259 feet in the park. A popular hiking trail leads down the hill to a small tarn near an unnamed dirt road.

Technical Details

Composite: No
EF 70-200mm + 1.4x @ 98mm; f/18 @ 1/20 sec, -0.33 EV, ISO 400

3 Likes

Bob, so many layers in this wonderful photo. That small lake anchors the composition. So interesting how one ridge is green with trees and the next is barren and lifeless. This would make a great wall mural.

Thank you for your kind remarks. The reason for the variations in foliage is due to the elevation and it is known as the tree line. The tree line is the edge of the habitat at which trees are capable of growing. It is found at high elevations and high latitudes. Beyond the tree line, trees cannot tolerate the environmental conditions.

1 Like

What a view, Bob! I love the tiny lake contrasting with the mountains. The Rockies never disappoint. I love how the different terrain is showcased.

Thank you Egidio. I can only take credit for making the image.

1 Like