Covid ocean sunsets: my new hobby

I have been visiting Ocean Beach (yes, that is it’s name here in San Francisco. Go figure.), which is on the west end of San Francisco about a seven minute drive from my house, about three times a week to photograph the sunset . I take all the photos from the same spot and what I am discovering is that there is an amazing, infinite variety of beautiful light possible. On the other, hand,the compositions are starting to all look the same to me: beautiful sky, interesting color, and ocean, with or without big waves. I am trying to channel Monet’s series of paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, all the same composition but painted at different times of the day and different seasons of the year. So, it has been a fascinating process which has illuminated something about why I love photographing beauty in nature: the joy and quick fix of finding something “new” and beautiful. For me it’s more about beauty and less about photography. If it is not beautiful, I don’t like it. I am a beauty junkie. Yes, it is a bit limiting. So anyway, I invite you to visit Flikr and see my series so far: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7868706@N02/albums/72157718049490236

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f 11, 1/250, ISO 2000

Wonderful! The textures and color is the near water is fascinating, with the sky providing a lovely and subtle setting and repeating the FG blues.

Tony, thank you for sharing the link to your Flickr album. That is one amazingly diverse collection considering the shots were all taken at the same location. If you had just posted only one of these images, I would say it was about beauty, and the eye candy of a sunset at the ocean. But having seen your other images at Flickr (and here at NPN), I would say that the entire collection is instead really about light and color, and as you said the infinite variety of these elements. As a collection based on that theme, the composition essentially becomes secondary in importance. One of these images is eye candy, but the collection as a whole rises above that to have more long term impact.

Quite a fine COVID collection, Tony! This one fits in well and looks good. No nits here.

Lovely pastel colored sky Tony. I like the detail in the waves and ocean spray. Wonderful collection BTW.

Wow, I’ll echo. This is a wonderful image, but the collection is magnificent. Nicely done!

@John_Williams, @Eva_McDermott, @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk, @Diane_Miller, thank you for your comments and feedback!