Coyote and Badger

With all the cancelled travel this year, I feel very fortunate to have made it over to Yellowstone at the start of June. This was my fifty-first trip to the park—for fun I’ve been ranking the first fifty trips in my blog, for those that are interested—and I brought my father with me this time. He took me on my very first Yellowstone trip back in 1988, so it was fitting to kick off the second half-century of trips this way.

We had a fruitful two weeks, a visit that was highlighted by some interesting wildlife behavior I either had not photographed well, or had never seen before. Yellowstone always presents something new… There are numerous documented instances of American badgers and coyotes hunting together (some of you may remember the viral video of these two species traveling together from earlier in the year). Friends and colleagues have photographed this in the park over the years, but it took me this long to see it.

Each predator is basically hoping the other will spook some food into its waiting jaws. The coyote watched as the badger investigated various ground squirrel burrows, but any time the coyote started exploring, the badger would inevitably follow. As it turned out, while we were watching the coyote did manage to catch a squirrel, though without any help from the badger.

This photo may not be very dynamic, but I thought it represented the temporary truce between the two species well enough.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 1000
1/1250th
f/7.1

Max

Very cool behavioral image and story. I have not witnessed that, so cool to hear about it and see an image showing it. Nice.

1 Like

Very nice teamwork. I have read that badgers, golden eagles, and coyotes will team up around ground squirrel burrows too. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Max, thank you for sharing this image. It is amazing behavior of these animals, but sounds very smart at the same time.

I am so glad that you were able to take your father with you on this trip to Yellowstone. I am sure you both enjoyed your time together in a very special place.

1 Like

Great Story and they both appear to have a focus locked on the target.
Your father must be very satisfied and nostalgic with your journey, which started with him, so many years back.

1 Like

It is super interesting to see this type of behavior. Thanks for sharing it with us!

1 Like

Super interesting story and the image displays their mutual comfort with one another as they are focused externally. Thanks for sharing and teaching this!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. It was definitely a special opportunity traveling with my dad for this one… and sweet revenge waking him up at all hours of the night, since he did that to me (I was twelve) on that first trip!

Max