Crane with Ice Bracelets

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any that you have

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is one of those somewhat routine shots at Bosque with nice early morning light. While I enjoy these, Most I don’t keep. I kept this one because of the ice bracelets on the cranes legs. That happens when the water is cold enough to freeze that they are standing in overnight, then when they lift a chunk of ice breaks off and remains on their legs. We’ve called these ice bracelets for years.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM1-X, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/800 @ f/5.6, ISO 800
About 90% of full frame

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Superb wing and body position. I really like the way the brownish tones on the Crane mirror the BG.
Placement in the frame is perfect.

The light is magical but I agree that the ice bracelet is the one that makes this image, Keith. I haven’t been to Bosque but it’s on my bucket list.

Keith, this is such a nice shot, I am so glad that you didn’t discard it, but shared it with us. The lighting is sweet, but those ice bracelets are priceless!

The light was just right to catch the bracelets, Keith. A sweet shot and certainly one that those of us who only visit occasionally wouldn’t toss.

Interesting. Great light on the crane. I’m really drawn to the tack sharp eye. A keeper for sure.

Hi Keith,

Ice bracelets give this flying crane shot some seasonal flavor (no pun intended!). Comp, light, and focus are ideal. Well done…Jim