$995 - (Initial Payment of $495)
July 20-23, 2019
Limited to 6 participants
• Based out of Crested Butte, CO
• Fly into Denver or Gunnison (See ‘How to Get There’ section below)
Colorado is known for its wildflowers during the summer, and the wildflowers really come alive in the quaint mountain town of Crested Butte, Colorado. Known as the “Wildflower Capital of Colorado,” it’s valleys and hills spring to life with a rainbow of flowers during the month of July. The mountains surrounding the town create a magical backdrop for wildflower and nature photography. We will be spending our time photographing flowers in the high alpine country. Waterfalls, alpine lake reflections, and meadows of flowers will be our focus during this photography adventure. We will also be driving up to the higher elevations to enjoy the mountain scenery and flowers that carpet the hills. We have been exploring and photographing Crested Butte for the last 10 years. Come join us for a truly unique summer Colorado photography experience!
What You Will Learn
In the Field
- How to read a scene to create compelling compositions using shapes, lines, visual mass, texture, and more
- Reading weather and lighting conditions to know when to go out on your own in the right light
- How to use apps to scout out your own locations and plan your next shoot
- When and how to use lenses to bring focus to your subject
- How and when to use a polarizer to make colors pop
- Depth of field and hyperfocal distance to help you create sharp photos
- Achieving maximum sharpness using focus stacking
- Creative use of ND Filters to create motion in clouds and water
- Creating panoramas without using expensive equipment
- How to take correct exposures for bright skies; to be later used for exposure blending
- Identifying the best light and how to expose correctly
Post Processing for Beginners
- Making dull RAW files pop in Lightroom and keeping files organized
- Use of local adjustments for dodging & burning, and many more creative opportunities
- Using white balance to create mood in your images
- Properly sharpen and reduce noise for maximum image quality
- Stitching panoramas easily in Lightroom
- Exposure blending using HDR for natural looking results
Post Processing for Advanced users
- Exposure blending using luminosity masks to create balanced, natural looking images
- Focus stacking using Photoshop and/or Zerene Stacker for maximum depth of field
- Blending different focal lengths to correct for wide angle diminishment
- Creative burning and dodging techniques to bring focus to your subject
- Using the Orton Effect to add glow to your highlights
- Creating drama with Light Bleed
- Using Midtone Contrast to make images pop off the screen
- Sharpening for web and print
We encourage you to find your unique style of creativity with focused training based on your style and skill level. You will experience a rigorous learning experience in the field and the classroom to take your photography to the next level.
Our passion is seeing you grow in your photographic journey. We put your interests ahead of our own. Early on in the workshop, we will not photograph at all. Our focus is your learning experience, and we will not run off to chase the light and leave you behind. As the workshop progresses, we will take a few photos in a limited manner. This is so you can see how we approach a scene, demonstrate techniques, and create comradery with the group. Our focus will always remain with YOU.
We understand everyone comes to workshops at different points in their photography journeys. We will be there to guide and help you, whether you are a beginner or advanced shooter. There is always something to learn about photography, and we will do our best to help you find your creative vision.
Above all, we want this to be a fun experience for you. With our small group size, we get to know our clients very well, and we feel like they are part of our extended family. We do this for the love of photography, and there is nothing that gives us greater joy than seeing our clients grow and find their artistic vision.
This workshop is mildly strenuous, we will only hike short distances. We will be at extremely high elevations above 12,000 feet. Not recommended if you get altitude sickness easily or if you are scared of heights as many of the roads we are driving have steep drop offs and not for the faint of heart.
$995 - (Initial Payment of $495)
What is Included
- Transportation for 3 in our truck, others will carpool. (Please contact us to reserve a spot in our truck)
- Small class size of 6 maximum to ensure proper attention to each client
- Two attentive instructors for a client to instructor ratio of 3:1
- Water and snacks
- Image Critiques
- Tailored post processing instruction in Lightroom and Photoshop
What is Not Included
- Lodging - we have a block of rooms held for you
- Meals - we will be eating together as a group
How To Get There
- Option 1 – Fly to Denver International Airport and rent a car to make the 5 hour drive
- Option 2 – Fly to Montrose Airport and rent a car to make the 45 minute drive.
We recommend using Google Flights to find the best flight/rate.