Dandylion in the Mist

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r at f-8, 1/500 sec., and iso 500. The hue and saturation was adjusted up-word somewhat to bring out background color.

elwise44
1 Like

Wayne, that sure is some droplets on the dandelion. I was surprised though when I enlarge it, it just doesn’t look sharp, and even looks like it is pixelling. Was this cropped severely? I love the designs and droplets you captured in the dandelion.

Hm. Shirley is right. And the color seems off, too. What’s the color space here? If it isn’t sRGB that could be the culprit. What I mean is the aqua color on the left doesn’t seem like it could be natural grass. Unless you haver blue grass. The rest has a magenta cast as well. Interesting from a creative processing perspective, but if you were going for a more realistic image I think something went awry. I like the idea of this though. The detail in the subject would attract me for sure.

Thanks, everyone. I was trying to up the hue/saturation to give a bit more color to the background and center in order to showcase the droplets and construction of the seed pods of the dandelion. I will post a black and white for another view.
Wayne

You found a very nice subject, but it is a difficult one that demands exceptional sharpness, low noise and subtle and accurate color to succeed, and this image is missing all of those. Were you using a tripod and the most careful technique for image sharpness? What NR software?

The image is in ProPhoto RGB space, which is the worst space for any web posting. You should always convert to sRGB for posting. And I would not recommend anyone working in ProPhoto space who does not fully understand its drawbacks. You would be better off staying in sRGB all the way. You won’t be giving up a noticeable color gamut unless you use top-line high-gamut monitors and a significant part of your regular workflow is going to very high end printers.

Thanks Diane, Appreciate information and will check of my color space. I use a tripod and Topaz Denoise. I’ve checked my camera, Photoshop and Lightroom and only find “sRGB” color setting. Not sure how ProPhoto made it into my workflow.
Thanks, Wayne

Electronic gremlins…

Hay Diane, my apology. Discovered that my Lightroom settings did indeed have " ProPhoto " color space settings. Sorry for the error and thanks for the reminder.
Wayne

Reading over this I should have been more precise - your working color space can be ProPhoto, but when you export for web sharing you should choose sRGB so it will render correctly. I think Lr default is ProPhoto and I use that during my processing, but my jpegs are all sRGB. Sorry for the confusion if there was any.