Dawn over Mono

Just for fun. Color a bit exaggerated. :wink:

My intent this morning was to put together some images for a panoramic. Well, I was rather frustrated this morning because I couldn’t figure out why each exposure was different than the previous. No way I could stitch anything later. I thought there was something wrong with camera or lens! Well, I didn’t figure it out until later that morning… the camera was set to bracket 5 images! So of course each successive image had a different exposure! Idiot! Well, I was able to salvage a couple frames, but no panorama this trip!

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

Nikon D800E, Nikon 28-300mm @ 200mm f/8

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Not a composite, but contorted a bit using the skew transformation. I was shooting “down lake” and so the shore was receding quite a bit and consequently optically not level. Fortunately the tufa look pretty normal.

Thanks for looking!

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

Lon, this one has a nice layered look to it. The contrasting colors work very nicely also. Too bad about the camera setting issue I bet this scene would have netted a super panoramic. I really like the softness of the blue water against the loudness of the orange sky…:sunglasses:
Glad you figured out the gear issue. As I run on total auto pilot in the field these days my failures are usually just brain farts…:clown_face:

Beautiful colors and soothing scene. Real nice take from Mono. If you had put this in the critique area, i would have a minor suggestion. But I am NOT going to break the rules for you. :slight_smile:

Love the way this looks, Lon. The colors are striking, your comp works great and I love the highlights / reflections in the water. Even if you didn’t get the panoramic this one works great for me.

Magical, Lon. Wonderful mix of complementary colors.

Nice. It’s unusual to see the tufa shot as silhouette.

Where are the trees, Lon? Just kidding. I really like the richness along with the alternating bands of color in the scene. Even though you did not get your pano this works beautifully as a Plan B.

I agree with Mr. H, here. Nicely done, Lon.
-P

Lon, I like your choice to process the tufas as silhouettes, it is very effective in making them stand out against the water. There’s a lot to appreciate in this scene, the multiple layers, the striking shapes of the tufas, and the warm/cool colors. But what takes this image up a notch for me is the light and color in the water, it is simply gorgeous. sorry you didn’t get your pano, but this is a pretty good consolation prize.

Thanks for the comments folks! Been away in Yosemite and haven’t had a chance to respond.

There ya go… Isn’t that the point of the Gallery? People post cause they’re not looking for a critique or suggestions? I too struggle with this concept since I’m always looking to improve own work in addition to helping others. Ahh, but I get the concept here. Feel free to drop me a note if you want to suggest anything… :smile:

I like the way the tufa reflections break the smooth layering.