Day on the moss revisited with Rewok

Description: Went back to this quaint stream and found a new scene.

Specific Feedback Requested: Composition/Processing but how about balance? Does this work with the large trunk…seems to me it does but I would like opinions.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 70mm f/13 0.8 sec iso 400

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

rework (1 of 1)-DeNoiseAI-clear

There is so much to like in this image. I had a bit of trouble with the busyness of the upper right corner and came up with this. It’s not a perfect solution because you lose some mossy rocks. I should’ve really darkened that light edge though because the tree bark is outstanding.

2 Likes

What a lovely scene, Mario. I love the lush greens and the cooling stream, but my eyes seem to search for a calm place to land. There’s so much fine detail and all of it is beautiful but it all competes with itself. I believe a more defined focal point is needed. I used NIK Color Efex 4 to apply their Darken/Lighten Center tool to hopefully provide a spot for your eyes to land on first, and then they can branch out and explore others areas. I used that particular tool over just applying a vignette because it gives you more control over what you’re applying. My edit is just a quick and dirty edit, but if you were take a little more time I believe it could make a really nice difference.

Original

Revision

1 Like

The mossy rocks (and the light on them) are just wonderful. And your processing has handled the dappled light very well. The colors are great here too.

I agree with @Igor_Doncov about the URC, and to some degree I’m not sure the ULC is adding a lot to the image either. I also kind of get the “two competing subjects” vibe here, between the tree and the mossy rocks. The mossy rocks win out for me. I might suggest a panoramic crop, retaining the bottom 50% to 60% of the image as presented. This would make the moss more dominant, while keeping half of the tree as a supporting element. And it would eliminate potential issues in the two upper corners. Just my $0.02.

1 Like

Thank you all @Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk @Bill_Chambers for your comments and suggestions. Ed its interesting as I was considering cropping as you suggested but couldn’t make my self do it for some reason. That is why I love NPN, everyone helps me see what I cannot see and do what I cannot seem to or know how to do! I do think this is a much stronger image. And Bill I will check out Color Efex.

1 Like

Igor @Igor_Doncov You can see in the rework that that awesome bark is still there! I share you love of bark but have not focused on it with photography…yet.

The rework is awesome Mario.

The pano rework really looks great Mario, the bottom 40% of the tree was the best part anyways, The crop distills this down to the essence of the image.

I am loving the pano crop, Mario. You got rid of a few distracting elements and left the best parts. I think this might be my favorite so far. This looks like a scene you might come across in the Pacific Northwest. Very nicely done.

I too, really like the reworked pano. Nicely done, sir.