Desert Cat

This may not be the best IQ of an image, but this kind of image was impossible till now, at least for me. And please don’t miss the young one.
You may be surprised to know that this was shot at 2240 mm, Canon R 5 made this possible. I never had the priviledge of this kind of reach and it was not possible to get close to this rare and elusive subject.
It was 500 mm + stacked convertors 2X + 1.4X+ 1.6 cropped sensor.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R 5; 500mm; 2X; 1.4X; cropped sensor 1.6X; ISO 10000; 1/1250 sec. at F 11.

jagdeeprajputphotographie
3 Likes

I nearly missed the other cat for paying attention to the yawner. These look like fairly small cats, but I bet they’re fierce. Thanks for finding them & sharing.

Excellent, Jagdeep. Blowing it up I do see noise from the high iso, but the focus was obviously perfect and there is no evidence of camera movement affecting the image at all. Anyone viewing this from the proper distance wouldn’t see the noise. A wonderful accomplishment and a beautiful image.

This is amazing. That little one is hiding within the photo! Jagdeep, I thought the R5 was a full frame camera. Would you please explain your “1.6 cropped sensor” notation. Thanks.

Hi Carol!

In R5 you have the option to go for for full frame or 1.6 crop.
So whenever you need more range, you can go for crop mode, it gives you about 17 megapixel frame.

Thanks Jagdeep! The reach you got was incredible.

Jagdeep, that yawn is amazing and very nicely caught. The quality look quite good for the stacked convertors. The 2nd cat is well hidden, which make for a delightful picture. The bit about the in-camera crop is fascinating, since what it does is improve what operator is seeing. The same crop would be available from the full frame image, just a bit harder to see and compose.

1 Like

I’m going to assume this is a pretty special find. I’d be stoked to see this.

I admit I completely missed the foreground cat at first. Nice to see that hidden surprise, and also cool to see that you’re able to get some extra “reach” with the R5, something I’ve also been discovering recently.

1 Like