Digital Watermark

Thank you for bringing up your concerns/issues regarding my use of my watermarks on my images. I appreciate your perspective and understand where you’re coming from, especially in a forum like this where we all know and respect each other’s work.

The decision to include a watermark, albeit minimalistic, is a deeply personal choice for me. It’s part of my signature, a mark of my creativity and effort. While I acknowledge your point about the specific environment of this forum, I believe in consistency across all platforms where my work is presented. This consistency is part of my identity as a photographer, an element of my brand that I’ve thoughtfully considered and am proud of. I understand if it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, just as certain types of images aren’t.

We all have our unique approaches to presenting our art, and this happens to be mine. I would never be so brazen as to suggest a watermark might add to the character of your work.

If my watermark detracts from your enjoyment of my photographs, I regret that, but I encourage you to focus on the broader scope of work shared within this forum, and perhaps avoid mine. My intention is never to offend but to stay true to my artistic ethos, and if that means not having universal appeal so be it.

Reflecting on our earlier discussion, I want to clarify my use of what some see as a watermark. It’s actually my signature, a distinction that’s important to me. This signature, which I personally designed, is as much a part of my work as the image itself. It represents my authenticity and the pride I take in my work.

In today’s world, where artificial intelligence is becoming more prominent, the personal touch that a signature adds is invaluable. It signifies the human creativity and perspective behind each image, distinguishing my work from the impersonal nature of AI-generated content. My signature is a reminder of the individual effort and emotion that goes into capturing each moment.

I believe the human touch will become increasingly important as technology advances, serving as a mark of authenticity and originality. My aim is to preserve that unique connection between creator and creation, something I truly value.

1 Like

What’s the point? The point being, NPN is NOT the point. Like Don and others, the point is about MY WORK, no matter where that work is posted. I personally choose and have never posted on FB, I don’t even have an IG account. So are you saying that if you see an image on FB or IG and it has a watermark/signature, it doesn’t bother you? I’m guessing it’s bothersome to you no matter where you find a posted image.

This.

1 Like

I thought of this. Most of you aren’t old enough to remember… but this:

“Hallmark. When you care to send the very best.”

1 Like

They still run strong Lon.

I do not look at FB nor IG. I generally only look at images on people’s websites. Would I prefer that a signature/watermark did not disturb an images’ aesthetic, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Does it send me into some sort of rage, no it does not.
I have already conceded that I now have a better understanding of why some photographers wish to add a signature/watermark as an integral part of their image presentation. So it may be something I need to think more about.

This topic seems to have gotten under your skin as I found your last post directed at me quite hostile. I certainly did not appreciate its tone.
@Lon_Overacker you have already made me regret my decision to rejoin NPN.
As such I shall cease posting images. I will also refrain from providing critiques.

Certainly I offer my apology if I’ve offended you. That was not my intent.

A little harsh? but that’s ok I guess.

A wonderful and yet sad state of the anonymous internet. We can post anything, any opinion and then get offended when someone challenges the opinion. Rhetorically speaking on the broad internet.

I’m sorry as well that you feel you regret rejoining NPN. It’s unfortunate that the opinion of one member would disuade another member from taking advantage of the resources and talent on this site. I’m willing to bet there are any number of members who don’t like me and refuse to comment on my images. That’s great, their choice. No reason for me to leave. I would encourage you to stay, but thats your choice.

I will commit to not commenting further unless you wish to contact me via DM/email. No reason to take this further.

Best of luck.

1 Like