Discordance + Repost

Not many ice abstracts in my area this Winter, but I did find an interesting water pattern on a recent hike. Tried as a B&W but missed the soft browns.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was attracted to the radiating lines and then spotted this small area which, I thought, added some interest.

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2, Fujinon XF 16-80, ISO 125, f/4, 1/52, 88mm (35mm equiv), hand held.

2 Likes

I like that you ended up on this area. The addition of the object in the ULC (rock?) to go with the lines in the ice helps make an intriguing image. The title is very apt. Well done.

A striking image with the intrusion pressing in from the ULC.

Fascinating interplay of forces with wonderfully rendered detail! I wonder if a B/W or a very cool monochrome would add to the mystery.

This is a fascinating image that has had me coming back several times to take another look. What I keep seeing is a reptilian form, a snake coming in from the upper left, pushing the water - a doppler effect - which I find slightly thrilling and chilling. I think the image in the aspect ratio you’ve posted works well but you might also consider cropping from the right to square. You never know, you might choose to do a series sometime where all the images are square cropped and I think a square version of this one could be a viable alternate.

Very cool! I like Kerry’s square crop, but other crops could work, too. For example if you wanted to accentuate the movement of the foam, a 16x9 would work. Although there’s nothing wrong with your original framing! The opposing forces of the wood vs. the foam really make this. One nit is the white balance - the foam has a magenta cast to me, but maybe that’s your intent.

Here’s a 16x9 with auto WB:

Jim, I love the radial lines in the water. Nice work spotting this composition. My initial thought was to crop out the object on the upper left corner but after studying the image further, I like that you included it. Kerry described it well: “a reptilian form…pushing the water - a doppler effect…”

You could clone out the leaf on the log (rock) to help reinforce that concept above. I also like Kerry’s square crop as an alternative although your original also works but I would crop off the right negative space a bit.

@Ronald_Murphy, @Kerry_Gordon , @Alfredo_Mora , @Bonnie_Lampley, @DeanRoyer, @Diane_Miller, thank you all for your positive and helpful comments. I’ve posted a reworked version of the image, in B&W, square format. I do like the B&W version in 1:1. I have the ability to choose from several aspect ratios when shooting, so have to remember to think outside (or inside?) the box occasionally. The square format serves well to eliminate the negative space on the right and allows that miscreant leaf on the stick to blend in better. The magenta cast is probably due to experimenting with different white balance settings and I just left it.

Jim,

Great find! Love the patterns in the “foam” and I had the same reaction as Kerry regarding the intruding snake… very cool!

I think the square crop is the way to go and I agree with keeping the brown and colors works better. Although the b&w could work too, but I think what you posted is a little heavy in the contrast.

No other nits or suggestions really. This just works. It’s a great image - beautifully scene and captured.

Lon

Thank you @Lon_Overacker for your kind words and suggestions. I agree the contrast is overdone; I kept looking at it wondering the same thing.

Jim, this is a great “find”, well seen and composed. I think the mix of bowed lines from the lower right and the rock (with it’s reverse bowed lines) in the upper left looks really good. While there’s lots of room to adjust the white balance, the hint of pink/magenta in your original adds some subtle warmth.

@Mark_Seaver , thanks for your kind and helpful critique. BTW, been trying to post an image to the WC since yesterday, but doesn’t seem to be working. Left a message on the site earlier this morning. Is anyone else having this problem?