Discussion of E109: Albert Dros

Discussion of E109: Albert Dros

Welcome to the discussion! Let’s talk about the episode with Albert Dros! What did you like? What didn’t you like? What did you learn?

Here is a link to the episode: https://www.mattpaynephotography.com/gallery/albert-dros-interview/

2 Likes

Loved the bonus episode on Reddit. I posted my first photo today; no sales yet nor have I gone viral but I got nearly 30 votes :grinning:

1 Like

I liked how you guys talked about learning from other photographers in the field. That has been one thing I feel I have been lacking since I normally shoot alone. Hoping to meet with other like minded photographers in the PNW to bounce things off of!

2 Likes

Thanks man! Yeah it’s a huge way to learn! :slight_smile: welcome to NPN!

I think I like using NPN more on the computer rather than my phone. I need to get my home workstation put together. I think that can play a huge role in my progression as well. The important thing though is that experiences and SD cards are filling up!

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Discussion of E109: Albert Dros:

First have to say, thanks again Matt for providing an insightful podcast. I had not heard of Albert Dros before you announced the episode and now, needless to say, I’m a fan of his work. His images, writings and ideologies concerning photography resonate with me. I too do a lot of planning for a shoot and feel when the planning, the waiting and elements come together for a pre-visualized image it is far more rewarding than a spray and pray approach. I also believe in preserving the authenticity of a scene as you mentioned. The purpose of my photography is not just sharing a place I’ve been but also I attempt to evoke the emotions I felt in the observer of my photograph. If I were to composite pieces of scene from here or there into some franken-image I’m not being genuine and there is no emotion to convey. I thought he also offered some good advice in regard to writing and posting on social media platforms. You really do have to consider pre-conceived bias or endorsements in your writing and you do need to know about the social platforms your using, the audience you are addressing and of course you have to have something meaningful to say. Good episode.

1 Like

Hey Matt,

I enjoyed the conversation about Real v Fake etc. For me Albert has some images with a great mood. Yet he doesn’t have to go overboard with colour dodging or orton glow and I definitely don’t consider his work waiving for attention. It was inspiring that he can produce works that I’d consider realism or romanticism while still being authentic to the moment of capture. And he achieves this while still attracting a large fan base and running a successful photography business.

Great episode!

1 Like

Hey @Mark_Clafshenkel - glad this resonated with you as well! Good thoughts on knowing your audience!

@Nathan_Klein - yes, I agree - this is not an all-or-nothing world but I think its important to try to be authentic.

Huge fan of his work and he gave me a terrible envy to go to Kyrzigstan.

1 Like

Man, no kidding. His stuff from Kyrgyzstan is unreal!

Great episode! Albert had some great compositional tips for using an ultra wide angle lens, like walking around with your camera as low as possible while looking through the live view, and getting your camera as close to your foreground subject as your minimal focus distance will allow. I will definitely try out these techniques next time I am in the field.

Yes it is. The one picture he has with the bird and the burning clouds around the peaks. Gold.

1 Like
Back
Forward