Discussion of E111: Ole Henrick Skjelstad

Discussion of E111: Ole Henrick Skjelstad

Welcome to the discussion! Let’s talk about the episode with Ole Henrick Skjelstad! What did you like? What didn’t you like? What did you learn?

I’d also like to hear how you enjoyed the bonus content over on Patreon - we covered a pretty controversial topic that I think a lot of us struggle with (elitism and hierarchies).

Here is a link to the episode: https://www.mattpaynephotography.com/gallery/ole-henrick-skjelstad-interview/

1 Like

Hey Matt,

I really liked this episode. I thought that ole was very balanced in his point of view - if he’s not a member of this network please invite him. I think he’d make a good critique!

I especially liked the 500px conversation and how the competition for attention can make artists maybe take things too far. It made me wonder if photography will have trends like the music industry has. For example a lot of music in the 80’s became heavily synthesised with lots of reverb. Rock bands kept pushing it further for attention with their outfits etc. that gave way to a rawer simpler approach in the 90’s.

Maybe as landscape photography went into HDR and then the era of super dramatic sunsets with stretched mountains we’ll then go into a simpler more organic movement. It’s interesting

2 Likes

Thanks again for your great comment Nathan. It is interesting to think about how trends push artists in all mediums and cause things to shift.

The Instagram landscape type of look with brushed in “light” to me feels like watching a sports game where all the athletes are juiced up on HGH. Very masculine and testosterone driven. At some point you can only get so dramatic before it gets boring.

2 Likes

Yeah I totally agree. It all looks pretty unrealistic to me, which is totally fine if that is your objective. It’s interesting though- these images are the ones that consistently win big contests, which means judges haven’t gotten tired of it yet. Which is shocking to me.

2 Likes

The thing about big name contests is that the judges are not really involved with this genre- usually more on the commercial side so it’s new to them. The exception would be the nature’s best contest. It’s similar to how Peter Lik can sell his work for so much to unsuspecting tourists.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the Nature’s Best contest but it sounds fun. Even the contests at LPM, Epson Pano Awards, etc… all the winners always are super-processed shots. Its interesting to say the least. Ahhhh let’s kick the horse some more!

1 Like
Back
Forward