Distractions

I am an interloper from the landscape section. It looked like it was going to be a good sunset and I was lining up how I wanted to shoot the image that I had scouted out when these two interrupted my thought process.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5DM4 ISO 100 200 mm f 5.6 1/640
I’m not sure why I shot this at f 5.6

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

An “Interruption of Owls?” Is that a new group name? It’s nice to see you post this in Avian, John. Never turn down an opportunity at something like this. Since you had plenty of light, ideally more depth of field would have been nice to sharpen up the left bird as you’ve noted. However, the poses still make for a very compelling image. If you’re not constitutionally opposed to a little cloning, the out of focus branch that comes down to the top of the left bird’s head could be removed to the benefit of the image, I think. A very fine avian image.

1 Like

John,

I am glad you are posting on Avian. This is beautiful and I agree with everything that Dennis said. Shooting owl with 200mm on a full frame camera would be a dream for me.

1 Like

John, it looks like you got their attention, that is for sure. I am sure you were disappointed when you discovered that you had shot at f5.6, but still it is a nice shot. So many times I am so excited about the subject in front of me that I forget to change the settings from what I was shooting last. I image we all have.

1 Like

Adhika. Looks like I am busted. Haha. I thought I could sneak over and post this picture without anyone from the landscape side noticing especially with the fact that I left the back owl out of focus. It was just so much fun watching them and they are just both so cute.