Do they make diet bird seed?

I think I have a problem…

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X, slightly varying settings. Sturdy tripod. These are just crops of unadjusted raw files.

1 Like

Maybe they’ve puffed up their feathers because of cold weather? Excellent detail in all three. I particularly like the setting and composition of the first shot.

Survival of the fattest! I agree with Allen about the first shot, but number two is the cutest for me. I wish my Raw files were that sharp, but I’m too lazy to use a tripod.

@Allen_Brooks, it does look like they’re trying to keep warm, but it was about 60 degrees when these were taken! But then these are CA birds, and we think 60 is cold. @Mike_Friel, you may be right about survival of the fattest, at least when it comes to wildlife. With humans, probably not.

Diane, they are all three looking like they haven’t missed a meal lately, but they are probably puffed up feathers. Excellent details in all three shots. Tripods do pay off.

Wonderful series, Diane. Great detail and compositions in all of the images. I favor the first one, I think, the lush green background sets off the bird more. Lovely.

Darn good quality straight from camera at 1000mm. I am partial to the second even with the bg branches. Maybe one day camera could take those out. Nicely done.

All three are excellent images. It’s interesting that they were all puffed out. Perhaps being birds that habitually head north in the spring, they’re fattening up for migration. It’s amazing how much weight birds can put on in preparation for that and how quickly they can burn it off.

The ones I see in action at the feeder look normal. I think I’ve heard that birds sometimes fluff up when they feel relaxed. Maybe they’ve decided the thing that fills the feeders is not a threat.

They are chunky and with slightly puffed feathers, they are ready for some color weather. Birds budget their food intake so that they can survive the night. They do need to eat enough during the day so that their abdominal fat pad is well stocked. If not, they die. So these birds are ready for inclement weather. Well done…Jim

Hi Diane
Every time I see one of your 500mm 2x shots, it just amazing. All three photo are well framed and have great detail. Have tracking a bird in flight with that setup? Nice work.
Peter

Thanks everyone! @peter, I have been shooting birds in flight with it, but it’s a challenge. The 400 DO II + 2X gives slightly less magnification but 2 stops more light, which I can spend on lower ISO and faster SS. But it’s heavier and IS is probably not as good. I have probably posted some of our local RTH – will look around for a few good ones. I’ll say this up front – Topaz Denoise AI saves a lot that I might have deleted.

Enjoyed the triple header, Diane. Golden-crowned a fav. Nice perches and clean branches .

Hi Diane
I am looking at the R5 for my nest camera. This would replace the 7Dll I have. At this time, I will continue to use by Sigma 150-600mm and 24-105 F4 L Canon Lens, with the new Canon mount adapter.
I hate loosing the longer range of the C crop provides.
At one time did you say the R5 locked up?
Peter

@peter, I think the R5 will be an excellent replacement for the 7D2. The larger number of pixels will allow a lot of cropping in post, and the noise at any given ISO will be lower. Your lenses should work well. There has been an intermittent and occasional issue with lockups, which can be fixed by removing the battery for about 30 seconds. The cause seems mysterious but @David_Leroy suggested in the Discussion I started on the R5 that it may be related to the cards. I have had maybe 4-5 lockups and have not had one in months now.

Hi Diane
Thank you for the help.
Peter