Does this shot work?

New to NPN…trying it out, specifically in regards to the critique/feedback for artistic/creative expression.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Please comment on placement of structures in the composition

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does this composition work? Would you change anything? Is the eye successfully led to upper right foggy region?

Any pertinent technical details:

17mm focal length
Polarized

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi Jim. I think this works really well. You have taken what could be a chaotic scene and made it come together really well. I might back off the reds on the leaves and needles on the foreground rock just a little. I find it stops me just a bit on my way through the image. Pretty minor stuff though. Real nice work.

Jim,

Welcome to NPN! A wonderful first post!

To answer the question, you bet this works - and works beautifully. From the flowing comp (yes, eye is led through to the foggy bg) to the colors and processing. Very well done.

The composition is nicely crafted and well balanced. I especially like the clarity up front, but then fading in to a misty mood as you travel deeper in to the scene. This is quite an outstanding image.

Small wish - a tad more of the rock at the bottom with leaves and needles. It’s just enough as presented and too much more at the bottom might throw things out of balance. But a little more of the sharp clarity of that rock would be nice - but no biggie really. Then I just noticed the twigs coming in on the right. This is also no biggie as they blend in pretty well with the darker water there.

Look forward to more images and your participation!

Lon

Jim, Excellent framing with this image. The image has a beautiful look and feel to me and I love how my eye travels through the frame. Wonderful work! Welcome to NPN! Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for your comments! I looked at the file again, I think the leaves have more red in them than the needles. What about the rock…do you think that’s a bit strong in the reds as well?

Thanks for looking Nick!

Thanks for your comments Lon…you’re not the only one to have wished for more foreground rock! I guess I didn’t think of it at the time, but believe I could’ve done so had I thought about it. I guess it could’ve grounded the viewer a bit more? Thanks again for taking the time.

Beautiful scene with nice fall colors. My only suggestion involves the leafless tree in the middle which for me blocks the path to the foggy background. I like the placement of all the other elements in the image and your handling of the color palette.

Thanks for posting and welcome to NPN. This is a wonderful photo! Well done. How blurry to have the water is always a totally subjective choice. If you bracketed shutter speeds I would love to see a little bit more detail in the water.

1 Like