Double Trouble

Lower Klamath NWR, Ca
These two young badgers ran from their mother every time she tried to herd them back to the burrow. 7D, Sigma 150-600mmC@600mm, F10, 1/1000, ISO 400. +0.67 EC, handheld. Thanks for any comments or suggestions, Dave.

Nice detail in both the youngsters, Dave. It would be nice if the environment were more inviting, but you take what you can get.

Dave, I agree with Dennis about the surroundings, but who would have passed up a shot like these cute kids. I love how they’re huddled together like two insecure kindergarteners. Ahhh…to be young again!!!

This is very high on cuteness scale and I just love their curiosity.
I would like to see less of the foreground and more of the background, I mean they should be placed lower in the frame, avoiding their central placement in the frame.
That way we can soften the harshness of the environment.

I’m a lifetime fan of badgers, having grown up with them in the Southwestern deserts and relishing any encounters upon my returns. In a nutshell, you’ve nailed the “character” of these great animals. They’re prone to digging their burrows in open areas (especially right in the middle of our ranch roads!), so I don’t find the background that out of character. A bush or two would have been interesting, but mostly for folks who aren’t used to such open spaces and denning badgers.

I’d crop this to reduce the surroundings, mostly because doing so would call even more attention to the pair.

Sweet capture, Dave. I think you’d be fine centering this horizontally (it’s got a little extra space on the left), perhaps with a little cropped off below to put them in the bottom third. It’s a special treat to get young kits like this out in the open!

Max