Downey?

If this is the Downey Woodpecker, I’ve never seen one this large. I do have Hairy Woodpeckers and Downey’s that seem to come from the same part of the woods across the street from my house. I’ve seen adult Downey’s and adult Hairy Woodpeckers together and there’s definitely considerable size difference. This one while being large has the typical conspicuous tufted plumage at the proximal end of the bill. It also has a larger bill than what I’m accustomed to seeing on a Downey. Is it possible that this could be a hybrid?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

ISO 320, 200-600 at 600 mm, F8, 1000th, about 50% of full frame, Sony A1

1 Like

Whichever it is, you captured a nice image. Nice detail in both blacks and whites and a pleasing background. Looking at Merlin, which gives as the first ID, Hairy, the photos of both suggests the bill is too large for a Downy. Hybrid?-beyond my pay grade.

Fine image here, David. Good details, nice pose, and a good background. Looks like a Hairy to me. I don’t know if the two species cross breed., but I wouldn’t think so.

Beautiful bird, David. Nice catch.

I’m going with hairy. Bigger size, bigger beak. Very nice capture.

Very nice image and I can’t contribute to the ID, but I sure love that BG!!!

Merlin Photo ID calls it a Hairy. Their not always right but, I think it is because of bill and relative head size being almost equal.