Drifting

I made this photo during a bright morning. There was a breeze. I wanted to isolate in a closeup this flower against the moving water. There were ripples created by a passing boat.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like to know if the mood of movement is achieved, if the composition is compelling to the viewer.

Technical Details

Canon power shot G7X Mark III
24 mm (8.8-36.8mm)
1/320
F/11
ISO 200

1 Like

While the overall composition is nice, I think there is a bit of fine-tuning you could do here.

Though I do not typically do this, I’ve included an edited version of the piece below, as I feel it is better in this case to show rather than simply tell.

What I did was quite simple:

• Cloned out the leaves toward the bottom of the frame, as they were quite distracting to my eye, leaving it to wander away from the flower (the main subject).

• Darkened the upper right corner of the frame, along with the brown-hued waves, to allow for better tonality overall. Further, by darkening the upper corner, your eye is no longer drawn there, as the flower is no longer competing for being the brightest object in-frame.

I hope this helps you out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It helps a lot. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Marie, this is a fine first post, and welcome to NPN. I do like what @Cody_Schultz did in his edit, as it does keep the eye on the subject. He didn’t remove the waves completely, so that still balances the top right corner, but doesn’t pull the eye away. Looking forward to seeing more of your images, and comments as well on other’s images. Just a note, on an image like this you could post it in Flora or Macro. That would be your call.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will definitely participate in this site that looks so promising

Welcome Marie. I have only been a member for a few months and have received some good feedback that has helped me grow. This is a wonderful minimalist shot. I like that the flower is off center and leins a little to the left. The wavy water makes a nice BG. I think @Cody_Schultz 's cloning out the bottom leafs and darkening that TRC brownish water helped this photo out. Look forward to seeing more of your posts.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Marie: Welcome to NPN and thanks for a fine first post. This is a well conceived image in your comp and execution. Cody’s fine tuning makes it even better. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more of your work. >=))>