Drummond's Aster (Symphyotrichum drummondii)

While camping at Hawthorn Bluff campground on Lake Oologah, Ok., I had grabbed my fishing gear and was walking down to the lake when I was stopped in my tracks by this aster growing alongside the trail in a spot of light shining through the trees. It was so glorious that I allowed it to do what few things are able to do - deter me from fishing. I had to walk back to the camp site to grab my camera for a photo. I hope it will still be there this spring, perhaps with an offspring, or two. Taken October 26, 2021.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

I thought the Flora Editor needed to be put to work!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM Zoom, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 400. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Terry this is wonderful. The white petals really stand out from the background. Nice!

Thanks, David. I appreciate your comments.

I’m on the job!!!

I really like the angle you chose here - it shows how the branching plant reaches to find its niche in the sun. That said I wish the sun as on the flowers and not the lower leaves and that it was a touch sharper, but am glad you postponed fishing to get this shot. Asters move just from a person breathing so they’re sometimes trying subjects.

Glad to see you’re hard at work. Look for something a little extra in your pay envelope this week.

I agree with all your comments. I wish I had taken a bit more time with this specimen; taken some different angles, etc. It isn’t often you find asters growing in the wild as beautiful as this one. But, hey…the fish were calling my name!

1 Like