E116 Discussion - Aaron Reed & Colby Brown

E116 Discussion - Aaron Reed & Colby Brown

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this week’s conversation with Aaron and Colby. I had fun talking to them about their business strategies and we got to learn all about Aaron’s obsession with nudity and ice cream.

1 Like

The last two episodes have been great and informative. Amazing how you’ve been able to keep this podcast fresh after so many episodes.

1 Like

Thanks man! I think you’ll enjoy the next two as well. Very good discussions!

1 Like

Hey Matt,

I also enjoyed this episode. Both guests are business savvy and have great ideas. It’s useful to understand their approach to marketing.

I had a question and I thought you may have spoken to them offline. Both artist have successful business selling prints and doing commercial work respectively but I noticed that both lead workshops. I wonder whether the workshops are a necessary part of their business or whether they could survive solely off their core business without workshops. It makes me wonder whether anyone can be a professional landscape photographer these days without photo educating to pay the bills?

1 Like

Good question! I actually wondered that. Especially for Aaron… I don’t know, I think for some people there’s really no such thing as “enough.” Or - he’s diversifying his income streams, which isn’t a bad idea. Prints can only go so far. I think he realizes that. For Colby, I think he’s just smart in terms of having many ways to bring in money. I would not be surprised if he retired at age 45 or 50. What a dream. Meanwhile, I’m working a FT job at a non-profit which does not have a 401k program, and I’m scraping by with the podcast. Good times. =)

2 Likes

Hey Matt,

Another common thread on the podcast is that many photographers seem to be frustrated by social media and that the algorithms at play seem to restrict the potential audience for content producers.

Would it be possible to have a representative from Instagram/ Facebook on the podcast so that we can get an insight to what their algorithms value and what their position is in supporting content producers? YouTube seems to be transparent while Facebook and insta appear to be opaque in their policy’s

Hey man, great thoughts. I absolutely love that idea… know anyone at either organization that would be willing to chat? Haha.

I have no contacts at either. Sorry Matt

Back
Forward