Eagle composite

Used my photo of an eagle and a photo of a painting that I changed in PS using various blur filters, color changes and the like

. Painted in a new background for eagle. Then used two textures. Right direction, wrong direction?? Any comment fair game

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this, Kathy. The direction works for me and I like what you did with the clouds and the treatment to the eagle.

I don’t know your source for the eagle, but I’d be careful about doing that kind of thing-copyright covers “derivative works” as well.

Hi Dennis

Thanks!!! The eagle is mine. The clouds came from a painting that a friend did. I changed them quite a bit but didn’t change my eagle.

Derivative works are an out of control doctrine allowing Richard Prince to make millions!!

OK, Kathy. Just didn’t want you to get in hot water.

1 Like

Hi Dennis. No problem and good point. Actually the “fair use” doctrine is what allows Richard Prince to get away with his perfidy. Anyway, I changed the post to make it clear what I was doing. As further clarification , I used only part of the painting, and used the gausian blur filter and the motion blur filter so the clouds would look like I was panning. The bg in the eagle picture was plain deep blue and really distracted from the eagle .

Ah, yest. The dreaded blue sky! Only a photographer would whine about that!

1 Like

Wonderful rendition Kathy!

1 Like

Nice final composite that shows the power of flight and majesty of the eagle. As to Dennis’ point about using someone else’s sky? I still feel funny about using a texture or a feature of software that enhances or changes my image. I like the results, but feel much better if both are my original photos. Its a very fine line.

1 Like

OkPat
I agree it is a fine line. The person who painted the background here is a good friend, fellow Penn State alumni and sorority sister, I did this on a lark from a Facebook post of hers. Had her permission to do it. I did it because I wanted to see the difference between putting the eagle on a “better sky” and putting the eagle on something created.
I have been shooting some of my own textures but have to admit to purchasing some to get to a result quicker. It’s not for everyone and I don’t post it in the regular galleries here . One of the reason I like doing it? Bridging the gap between straight photography and “art”. Another reason; no one is going to feel that they can take a similar picture with their phone.
One time I used a picture of wallpaper from my dentists office. I took the picture with my phone then transferred it to my texture file. Was that my photo? That’s a good debate!
It’s an interesting area , especially with some of the automated programs out there that include texture sets as part of the program.
Best
Kathy

Thanks Lon!

Nice work here. Actually, the entire image looks like a painting.

1 Like

Allen

Thank you! That means a lot to me as I have struggled to learn Photoshop after many years of being a contented Light Room user. I tried to make the eagle look “painterly” to blend in with the original painting that I used as a background.