Early Fall

I couldn’t decide whether I should post these images as I am not sure if they work. Most foliage in northeast PA has not changed yet but little pockets have. Colors are shapes in my opinion, those and the layers attracted me to this site. I am posting a second image as I am not sure if one works better than the other …or neither. I am not usually so flippy floppy on images but there you have it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does either or both work. Specifically composition but any other comments always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
#1 48mm f/11 1/8 sec iso 160
#2 30mm f/11 1/6 sec iso 160

I like the layers of colors and elements in your first image Mario. In the second image, I like the foreground color and composition however the top half is a little too dark. Brightening the top half would work better in my opinion.

I’m more of a mind to push the tree in the foreground forward, and lose color and detail in the BG.
I did a quick select/mask on the tree, added a curve to up the lights, then added an HSB to pop the yellows and greens in the selection. Next, I selected/masked the dark areas in the BG, did another curve but brought down the darks and moved the mid range to open back up some of the mid-range dark areas in the BG. Lastly, took it in into ACR, added some clarity, and vibrancy.
What my edit does is balance the darks in the upper left to the light of the tree in the same plane but on the right side of the frame. Like everything else in the world, it’s just an opinion which is not to say this edit is better, it’s just seen from a different eye.

2 Likes

Mario, I really like the first image. Both are great, but the first one just speaks to me of early fall and an expanse of anticipatory color. I’m glad you posted them.

Mario,
Both images are very nice, but the first one just seems to work better for me. The beginning fall color is subtle and I find that peaceful and inviting. The scene itself is balanced throughout the frame to my eye. In the second image the tree on the right side bothers me a little as it feels crammed in. There are lots of details to enjoy when opening up the large version.

Mario, I prefer the first one, but the second one is improved with @chris10 rework changes. The color is better in the second image, but I prefer the more balanced composition of the first image.

I don’t know about you, but I can hardly wait for autumn to start. But scenes like this provide a nice little appetizer of whats to come.

Thanks for the comments Ed. Actually I am headed to Crested Butte CO Wednesday for a workshop…really looking forward to it and getting a jump on fall also.

@David_Bostock @chris10 @Ed_Lowe @Eva_McDermott Appreciate the time for all your comments. Chris, do like the rework, thank you.

1 Like