Early Morning Ballet

This image was taken shortly after sunrise in the back corner of a cove. These Great Egrets created the impression of a dance as they jostled for position looking for small fish.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome: composition, lighting, story telling, interaction of the birds within the scene.

Technical Details

Olympus OMD EM1 Mark III, Zuiko 150-400mm. ISO 800, f/9, 1/2000

Hi Bill,
What a beautiful, serendipitous scene! That you caught these three in these positions is great. I just love the way their shapes complement each other, as if it was choreographed Beautiful lighting just adds to the elegance. We’ll done!

Hi Bill
It is fun to watch Egrets content for space and this is a great example of that. I looked at the shot in DXO and frond, if you bring up the shadows and blacks, this photograph shows a lot more detail. Nice catch.
Peter

Welcome back, Bill. Excellent behavior shot of these Egrets. I also like the low key, dark feeling overall. Excellent.

@peter has an interesting point. I’m not sure whether a lighter background would work as it might distract from the dancers, but it might be worth looking at. I like the poses and setting and the exposure of the whites looks good. A very good image.

Very nice poses captured - must have been very interesting to watch. I think the side lighting is a challenge for this image and bringing up the shadows a bit more as Peter suggests may be a good move as long as the noise does not get out of hand. Really nice behavioral shot.

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate your feedback.

Peter, Thanks for your critique and comment on bringing up the shadows. I remember intentionally underexposing this shot to mute the background since the birds were very close to an elevated shoreline. Also, I wanted to highlight the contrast for birds without blowing out the whites. A tricky (and lucky) maneuver. I will try to play with this some more. Thank you.

Thank you David. Glad to be back. After a bit of a hiatus I look forward to more participation in NPN.

Thanks Allen. I appreciate the feedback. Bill

Thank you Dennis. Bill