Eastern Nevada ia NOT Boring

@Adam_Bolyard @Richard_Teller @Eva_McDermott @John_Williams
You all have been nudging me along. I looked at a Dewitt Jones image last night and thought I should try to add drama by selectively increasing contrast in this image . I think that by comparison, the original Eastern Nevada IS boring. Your thoughts very appreciated.

Eastern Nevada has a number of north-south mountain ranges, with dramatic sweeping valleys in between. Looking from the latter was this view in late spring. Beyond these mountains, I think, lies Great Basin National Park.

I would be interested in observations and critiques on the color and BW version. Both I think are pretty good, but I would like to kick them up a notch.

The following two images are a re-post, responding to the helpful suggestions of
@Richard_Teller and @Adam_Bolyard

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dick, thanks for sharing. I like them for different reasons. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be the color. But I think if you take the B&W up a notch itā€™ll be harder to choose. With both, Iā€™d consider cropping to something like a 16x9 to take out the sky above the clouds. I think thatā€™ll help keep the focus on the mountains to draw the eye deeper into the frame rather than out the top. I think you can up the contrast of the B&W to add drama. I think there is enough in the foreground. You can probably draw the eye into the mountains for a look around with some dodging. The shadows look good to my eye. Some selective dodging to bring your attention might be all it would takeā€”Iā€™m thinking along the ridge line of the mountains to the right of center and the smaller foothill to the left of center.

Iā€™ll be interested to see how others would approach the scene. Cheers!

I like the B&W image better. I think this lends itself to B&W it adds more drama to the image. I have looked at both images for a while and the color does not hold my attention like the B&W does. I would also crop out the sky above the clouds and maybe even some of the clouds. Other than the crop I think the B&W is a fine image.

I too prefer the black and white; it has a lovely ā€œwesternā€ feel to it.

I could see kicking up the contrast a notch, and adding a slight vignette. Hereā€™s one along those lines, more in the spirit of food for thought rather than suggestions for improvement. Although I didnā€™tā€™ do it, I too agree with taking out that bit of sky at the top. You could clone it if you didnā€™t want to crop.

1 Like

I definitely prefer the B&W as well Dick. I like the tonal range as well as Johnā€™s tweaks for contrast and crop.

I definitely donā€™t think eastern Nevada is boring. B&W for me as well.

Iā€™d love to see Eastern Nevada - with nature like this I could never be bored. I prefer the top B&W.
Thanks for sharing this.