Elves Chasm

I was fortunate to take a boat trip down the Colorado though the Grand Canyon this summer. We started at the bottom of the Bright Angel Trail to Diamond Creek. This was not a photographic adventure for me and left my DSLR in the car. I bought a waterproof Olympus T6 for the trip. Elves Chasm was at mile 117 and it was well named: a magical setting

Specific Feedback Requested: Any. I don’t do a lot of landscapes, so any advice would be appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Olympus T6; 36 mm equivalent; 1/80@f2.5, -7/10 EV; ISO 200

1 Like

Magical and mysterious indeed. I like how you framed this…I want to wade in and see what’s up there in the dark. Nicely done.

1 Like

Well that does look inviting. The contrasting colors are almost too much - as if they’re not real, but I know they are. Sounds like it was an amazing trip. For this one you could try running some dehaze over the rock face on the right, it’s a little reflective. Ditoo with the small rock just at the bottom. The green in the vegetation looks a little hot to me, so maybe some work there would also improve an already pretty terrific view.

1 Like

I like the composition, it well designed and framed to channel the viewers eye from the foreground rocks to the back of the grotto. The mix of red and green colors also work very well together. To me the right half of the image is a bit too bright, and I think some darkening of the midtones in the right half and also along the bottom of the image would help direst the viewers better towards the center of the image. Here is a rework where I have taken a stab at that. I prefer the more balanced luminosity that this creates.

1 Like

You had some really harsh light to work with and still came away with a decent image. I probably would have just worked with the pool and rocks as the bottom half of the image is more interesting. That one rock at the very bottom is too close to the frame though.

1 Like