Emergence

Since September 7 I’ve been recovering from a hip replacement revision surgery that has severely hampered my mobility. My wife and I had planned a trip to Hawaii at the first of the year and despite me being a bit of a gimp we went anyway. I’ve not been able to do much photography over the past several months leading up to the surgery and after but I was able to get out at the roadsides and get some decent images. We were unable to do some of the hikes that we had originally hoped for but so it goes. This particular morning I had my reservation for sunrise at the summit of the Haleakala Crater on Maui. It was a marvelous experience to see this amazing landscape emerge from the clouds and the dawn. For me I feel like I’m starting to emerge back into some form of normalcy although my recovery has been glacial compared to when my hips were replaced originally. It feels good to be back in the community. All comments and suggestions welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback Requested

Comments on contrast and color always welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 OSS
ISO 400, f8, 5 shot HDR
Haleakala NP, Maui

2 Likes

Bill, welcome back and I hope your recovery continues smoothly. I’m thoroughly enjoying the mysteriousness of this view, with the slight haze, the scattered peaks of cinder, barren landscape and the clouds climbing over the distant peaks.

Welcome back, Bill. And what a wonderful image to mark the return with. I knew this was Haleakala as soon as I saw the thumbnail. Wonderful textures, colors and a terrific amount of depth too. Excellent. Hope your recovery continues and accelerates.

Cheers,
David

Agree that this is a fabulous image to return with! Hope to see more from Hawaii and anything else you’ve shot. Recovery can be frustrating, but you know the drill so won’t push it. Right, Bill? Stay well!

Stunning photo, Bill. It was so good to see one of your photos posted. It’s good to hear you are on the road to recovery and your back!

Your photo does this place justice, Bill. I remember visiting with my family several years ago and the way the clouds fold over the edge of the crater and then just disappear was magical. We also saw several blooming silver swords that only bloom once every 100 years or so. I think that’s right. Anyway, this image puts me right back there a few years ago with all of the good memories it brought to me. I hope your hip is improving and you are able to get back out and enjoy some photography soon. Thanks for bringing back a great memory for me.

Bill, it is good to see you back on NPN. What a lovely image. I can just imagine the enjoyment of being able to see and photograph this after months of disability. Continue to recover and we will soon be able to enjoy more of your photos and comments. You have been missed!