End of Day

Last bit of sun as the day closes in the northern New Mexico desert.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix LX10. Hand held 1/125th, f 6.3, iso 125. Minimally processed in Lightroom mobil app on iPad.

Bill.green.images
3 Likes

Welcome to NPN Bill. The back lit sage brush (?) is beautiful. I also like the well balanced exposure.

Hi Bill and welcome aboard. Real nice peaceful high desert scene. Very calm and tranquil.

Hi Bill! Welcome to NPN! Beautiful composition of this peaceful looking scene. The sunstar is perfect!

Thank you. Looks like a great group, looking forward to it.

I appreciate your comment. It was a very peaceful moment. I’m glad that was conveyed.

Thank you. Not sure myself what plants are visible in the image. But due to recent rains they were all quite happy.

Hi Bill, welcome to NPN. Looking forward to seeing more of your fine work.

This came out quite well, indeed. Normally shooting into the sun brings a lot of underexposure and shadow challenges, but your processing made fine work of it. Nicely seen, sir.

David, thank you for the welcome and kind comments.

I’ve always felt there is an element of ‘wildness’ to sagebrush that’s hard to describe. I think this image captures some of that with the dark tones and just their forms. I know this is an image about sunrise but for me it’s all about the sages and the emotions they evoke. You have some areas of the sky that’s blown out but it doesn’t bother me. There’s not a great deal of color here but that works for me. Nice work.

Very nice comments, thank you. I did notice that a few spots on the sky were blown. During processing I tried to tone these down but as you well know that seldom works. Trying to cover up blown highlights can often make it look worse. This was the case here.

I will add my welcome to NPN also. Very nice image. The light is great. I also like the layers in the image, they pull the eye through to the background. Very peaceful image. I can feel the quiet as the day is ending.

Thank you Richard. I appreciate your input.

If you are limited to LR Mobile, maybe so, but there are very good possibilities for recovering blown highlights in LR or ACR on a computer, including the use of linear profiles discussed here recently by Tony Kuiper. They can often be truly recovered, with no need to try to cover them up.

Yes, at the moment I am mobil only. We are on an extended journey and have no regular access to desktop computers.

Welcome to NPN Bill, you are off to a great start, with some really nice light in this image. I look forward to seeing more of your work here. I agree with some of the other comments that for me the appeal this image is really the back lighting on the sage, it looks really sweet.

Yeah, the highlights are blown in parts of the sky above the sun, and LR Mobile limits what you can do about that. But once you have access to LR Classic via a desktop, I think you could recover this sky better. I think this could be a candidate for double processing the same raw file, one for the sky, and another for the land, and then using things like TK Luminosity Masks to combine the two sets of prcessing using masks in Photoshop. The feathered nature of luminosity masks can make this type of highlight recovery look very natural.

Hi Ed, thanks so much for the comments. The highlights in this case don’t bother me too much. Normally I try to avoid blown highlights but on this occasion I can live with it. But I will look into your suggestion. If I come up with a better image I’ll let you know.