Euphorbia!

This is from one of the local desert gardens here in Tucson. It was a (rare) overcast day and I wanted to use the soft light to explore the shapes and textures (mostly prickly) of the plants there. I think this a plant of the genus Euphorbia and is also known as African spurge. I always intended this to be B&W once I saw the jpg on camera’s LCD.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is a focus-blended image with a new technique to enhance detail. It looks OK to me, but let me know if I’ve taken it too far.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I opted for a really strong vignette here as it seemed to enhance the radiating stems of the plant. Again, wondering if it feels too heavy or is artistically acceptable.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

That’s a pretty neat looking cactus, Tony. Never seen one before, but looks like to me it should be called “quadra prickly”. I don’t do vignettes myself, but seems to work quite well with this B&W presentation.

Very cool image, Tony! Kinda looks like skyscrapers, but much better! :grinning: Excellent and unusual.

I really like this. Must confess at first glance I thought it was a drone shot - very interesting point of view. I would be interested to understand the post processing approach - presuming TK actions were used.

Tony: The large version is a MUST SEE! Wonderful details and a masterful conversion. I’d be curious to see the color original but I think this would be hard to top. >=))>

A fascinating plant! Great macro subject. I like the vignette as is.

Excellent abstract comp, Tony, which works great in b & w. The fading of the light into the bg is a lovely effect.

Oh my, Tony, a great abstract! The vignette clearly “made” this image special.
Cheers

I love this, Tony! I think the processing is spot on and that the vignette works perfectly with the subject and composition. I wish this photo was part of my portfolio.

Gorgeous and not too heavy on the vignette. I’m in favor of enhancement if it results in such a beautiful, artistic rendering. It makes a stunning B and W.

Very nice effect. It’s like a bouquet, or an explosion, or even columnar basalt. I agree that the tonal gradation from edge to center work well for this centered composition. I don’t know how this looks on the big screen but I wonder if less severe vignetting would give richer tonal gradations. I would bring down the bright highlights in the center and slightly raise the shadows on the edges. I’d do that as an experiment.