European greenfinch (Chloris chloris)

The sunflowers in my garden are decaying, and the seeds attract birds like greenfinches, tits and goldfinches.
This is a crop (about 50%) from the original image. Noise reduction with NeatImage of the OOF areas.
All comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Pentax K5, Pentax M 5.6/400mm, f5.6, 1/1250 sec, ISO 1600.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

An interesting looking bird and can certainly see where it gets it name. A very nice pose and photo is sharply focused. The highlighted areas behind bird are a bit distracting and could be toned down if you do that sort of thing. I also like the setting for the bird perched in a group of decaying sunflower plants. The bright green/yellow colors on the bird really standout.

Excellent detail in the Greenfinch, Han. I like the decaying leaves, particularly those behind the bird. Th bright stem and edge of light on the seed head to the left tend to draw my eye and that little slice of leaf coming in half way up on the left tends to pull my eye out of the frame. If you don’t mind cloning a bit and/or a slight crop from the left, I think it would make the bird more dominant in the image.

Excellent color, light, and detail however I think I would crop vertically and remove some of the leaf material on the left side of the frame

Interesting comments, as always. Thanks @David_Schoen, @Dennis_Plank and @David_Leroy.
Funny: initially I had a more cropped version (see added image), but decided that I prefer to keep a bit more of the surroundings of the bird, although it takes away from the presence of the bird.

Hi Han
Thank you for bring this beautiful bird to us. The over all colors are great and I like the larger frame, it lets you breath.
Peter

Beautiful bird; well captured with fine detail. I like the larger frame, but could see cloning out the left side foliage and seeing if the green background could be darkened some-might make the bird pop even more.

Thank you all, for your comments. Much appreciated.
I’ll clone out the partly visible leafs at the left edge and play with darkening the BG in a next edit.