Expressive

Like many of you, I love trees. Most of the time trees are pretty static and unless something is special going on like changing light, colors or even as part of a nature story (resilience, etc.) Then there are times when trees can be expressive. I find the Western Juniper to be one of the most expressive trees - so many unique features, shapes, colors and stories to be told.

I’m hoping I am able to enhance this feeling of trees being expressive. Clearly the tree is an inanimate object and most certainly didn’t “motion blur” itself to express some feeling… But I’m hoping to express this through the technique of intentional movement. Of course since there are no rules, colors, light, dodging, burning, painting… all those things are at one’s disposal in creating the end result.

I’m including the reference image this time for the simple purpose of showing what can be accomplished.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback and comments welcome. Understandably this type of photography isn’t for everyone and I hope to hear some feedback either way.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @28mm, f/11 1/4s iso 200 with polarizer

ps. the ICM was shot at 28mm and a wider horizontal frame, but cropped quite a bit to square. The straight image is cropped slightly from full frame at 56mm… So not a direct 1:1 relationship, but the subject is the same of course.

3 Likes

I don’t know of this as an expression of a tree but as of a pure expression it is superb. I think that’s what I like most about it - the combination of colors adjoining and overlaying one another. That abstraction, rather than the vertical lines that most ICMs consist of. This is certainly one of your best ICMs. I also like the intensity of color you have chosen to use. Of course, there are so many possibilities with such an image. You could, for example, increase luminosity/saturation of the blues and greens and pull back on the oranges. One thing this image reminds me, however, is your treatment of moving water. It has that Lon Overacker look somehow, despite using a different technique altogether.

2 Likes

Lon, this is just superb. Had you not shown the the actual tree, I don’t know if I would have guessed that this was in fact a tree. That’s what makes this so intriguing to me. Mostly though, it’s the swirl you captured and not horizontal or vertical lines that give this image it’s look. Thanks for including the shutter speed. Not all ICM are up my alley but I love what you’ve been doing lately with your posts. They are very artistic with a dreamy quality about them. I think the luminosity is just right for this image. It gives it an evocative and even dreamier look than I think it would have if you brightened it up. Really good stuff here Lon.

Lon, I get lots of joy from viewing your image here. The motion really makes the trees feel more “alive” to me. This is why I enjoy including motion as a visual design element in my own work. Great job!

1 Like

Outstanding capture, Lon. Thank you for including a still shot for reference. Also appreciate your explaining your processes. You’ve certainly perfected this technique. The tree, at least for me, is very expressive. It feels happy and free!

Hi, Lon. Your image brings to mind an impressionistic painting. I love the fact that ICM can create those types of images. Yours is naturally beautiful. For me, it is not that important to see what the static inspiration was. I love getting lost in the nuances, the colors, and the brush strokes you have created here. This is a beautiful and artistic rendition.

Wow!! Simply gorgeous!! I love the curving lines and the delicate overlay of thinner, brighter lines. It evokes fine limbs being swept by a gentle breeze. A surprising and delightful result from the sturdy and stately juniper.

I could see a version with a little off the left and a little less off the bottom, to decenter the brightest area.

Dreamy image Lon. I’m inspired to try this technique. The background’s moody blue/green hues
work well against the oranges in the tree trunk. I like @Diane_Miller suggestion regarding the crop. I also like that there’s more texture in the trunk than in the background.

Thank You! @David_Haynes , @Igor_Doncov , @Egídio , @Alfredo_Mora , @linda_mellor , @Diane_Miller and @AndreDonawa for your kind words and thoughtful comments. It makes me happy to know that some folks enjoy this type of imagery.

AND

To be perfectly honest here, I’ve showed the reference image primarily to show anyone who may look, the potential transformation of just about ANY scene. I might agree that the straight reference image isn’t needed - and perhaps even diminishes the wonder and imagination triggered by the abstract image. Seeing where it came from might detract from that. But again, most times I’m just amazed how scenes are transformed with the technique.

Thanks also for the luminosity and crop suggestions. Another beauty of the technique and results is that the options and possibilities are virtually limitless.

Thank you so much!

2 Likes