Eye See You

This is the eyeball of an American Alligator. This is why stepping off the trail in swampy areas is never a good idea. This guy was about eight feet from me in tall grasses. He was a BIG boy.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D810 200-500 @500mm, f/8, 1/160, ISO 400

1 Like

Cool look at the gator!

1 Like

That is what you call up close and personal, Chris! I love the textures in his skin.

1 Like

This is almost abstract! Could almost be a close up of a log or tree bark. Very cool close up.

1 Like

Creepy. Looks like the plane of focus fell a little behind the eye, though.

Cool - gotta love the reach of a long lens and hopefully a mellow reptile. Agree that the POF looks to be behind the iris and if you have the room in the shot, I’d shift the crop to the right so the V of shadow behind the eye is out of frame with more room in front of the eye. Just my aesthetic. Must have been a bright day with the pupil closed up tight like that. Alligators fascinate me, but I haven’t spent much time with them. Only once and it was only 60 degrees in March and so they were pretty sluggish.

1 Like

Chris: Long lenses are good when facing one of these guys! I like how you framed this and the skin and iris textures especially. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like