Face at the Cliff

I made some enhancements to this image that I took in Zion National Park in 2013.
Is the white in the center branch a distraction or does it lead to and enhance the rock?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

The lighting here is tremendous and the rock would be best framed without the intervening limb coming from the left side of the image.

I really like the left and bottom edges of the image framed by the lit branches juxtaposed with the dark rock to the right and top sides of the image.

It would be most strong without the intervening branch to my eye.

I also believe the image is not very sharp? Was there some issue with focus/depth of field/camera movement at long focal length?

Larry,

I really like what you’ve seen here and attempted to capture and I agree with Jim the lighting is wonderful here.

My thought is, as presented I would say the branch is a distraction - not just the white part… but the idea of having the branch isolated against the cliff “face” is a good one and I see why you were attracted to this scene. And to that, my suggestion would be to simply crop this to emphasize the point of the branch in front of the red rock cliff. More cropped off the top, similar but less off the bottom and shaving off a tad on the right. To me anyway, that really tells the viewer what you’ve seen and are trying to communicate.

Said another way, the branch isn’t distracting per se, but because the viewpoint is so broad, that tighter vision get’s a little lost in the wider view - if that makes sense.

Lon

Lon and @Jim_McGovern, I agree with your comments. The branch is a problem, and I will try to get rid of it with contact-aware/fill. As for the soft focus, it’s a result of the image being seven years old and my likely either not focusing well or moving the camera. I was trying to do my best to rescue the image. I appreciate your compliment on the light. I worked on enhancing the light quite a bit. Thanks for the reply.

Here’s an attempt to clean up the branches. Best to do better next time.

One more time. I think this is better.

Much better…thanks for the repost!