Fall in a maple alley

California sycamore and maple trees showcase beautifully in fall. They grow together along streams deep down in canyon valleys. With little light coming through canyon sick canopy any time of the day, it is easy to capture their warm yellow glow and swarm of fallen leaves along hiking trails.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Did I get it wright with dark/light balance?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does composition work for you? It was a relatively narrow path in a steep canyon, not enough room on both sides

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D mark iv, 27-105 mm @50 mm, f/16, 1.3 sec, ISO 100

This is lovely, with the light leading me down the path. I think the vignetting is very effective. I’d love to see more on the left as those very interesting trunks feel crowded, but it sounds like you didn’t have that choice.

Are you sure these aren’t Western Maples? Western or CA Sycamores are similar, though, in growth areas and fall color, but the leaves are a little different.

Lana,
I do think you did get the shadows and light balance just right.
The colors are understated and I like them as presented.
I have to agree with @Diane_Miller and would like more of the full tree trunk on the left if you have it.
One nit, the ULC is a bit soft on focus not a big deal, but I wanted to mention it.

Lana, I think the dark light balance is good overall, you need strong contrast like this if your goal is to create a tunnel of light effect. However I think the vignette in the ULC, and LRC is a bit strong and might try backing off that a bit. I like that you kept the shadowed green colors a bit cool which is more natural looking. As the others have said, I wish there was a bit more breathing room on the left tree. I suspect these are maple trees too. While sycamores have leaves that are similar in shape to maples, sycamores have trunks that are comprised of large mottled patches of dark/light bark, which these don’t.

Lovely lighting; the spotlight effect gives the scene a compelling feel. I do wish the trail didn’t end so suddenly; it would even more enchanting if it kept going farther in the scene.

@Diane_Miller, @Ed_McGuirk, @Alan_Kreyger, @John_Williams, I went back to check if the trees are maple or sycamore. It turned out they are maples with sycamore growing up tall above.
Thank you for pointing it out.

Took a horizontal image with Lensbaby Velvet 56 lens. Please let me know your thoughts.

I LOVE IT!! I wonder about some burn in the UR, although I love those leaves in the top center.

I’m thinking I need one of those lenses…